RE: real-time log

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: real-time log
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:47:53 -0500

%% "Joshi, Vikas" <address@hidden> writes:

  jv> The output of the commands it's done executing. For example if one has

  jv> target:
  jv>   command 1
  jv>   command 2
  jv>   command 3
  jv>   command 4

  jv> And if one invokes make target on the above file then make prints
  jv> the output to the standard output when it's completely done.

Not true.  Make doesn't do anything at all with the stdout of
commands that it invokes; they are still attached directly to the same
stdout as make itself.

If you run this makefile:

    target: ; echo one; sleep 1; echo two; sleep 1; echo three

you'll see "one" printed, followed by a 1 second wait, then "two" printed,
followed by a 1 second wait, then "three" printed.