Parallelizing recursive calls to make

From: Henrik Grimm
Subject: Parallelizing recursive calls to make
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:26:18 +0100

I have the following rule in my makefile:

libraries: $(LIBRARIES)
        $(foreach dir,$(SUBDIRS),$(MAKE) -C $(dir) libraries;)

The idea is that when i specify "libraries" as target all libraries in the local directory are built, and make is called recursively in all subdirectories to build all libraries.

Now, my problem is that I want this to be done in parallel, i.e. it should be able to build multiple libraries in different directories concurrenlty. I have tried to change the ";" character into a "&", but it doesn't seem to work correctly (and doesn't respect the "-j" option).

/Henrik Grimm