Re: user input

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: user input
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:55:27 -0500

%% "Gustavo A. Baratto" <address@hidden> writes:

  gab> CREATE = ${shell echo 'read input; echo $$input' > input.sh}
  gab> CHMOD = ${shell chmod 700 input.sh}
  gab> $(warning  enter value 1:)
  gab> VALUE1 = ${shell ./input.sh}
  gab> $(warning  enter value 2:)
  gab> VALUE2 = ${shell ./input.sh}

  gab> as you can see make prints all the warnings before giving me the
  gab> prompts... I have no more ideas on how to get out of this. can
  gab> someone help?

You need to use simple variable assignments (:=) instead of recursive
assignments (=), so that the right-hand side of the assignment is
evaluated immediately when the variable is declared.

Otherwise, it won't be evaluated until the variable is used (and it will
be evaluated _every time_ the variable is used), which is definitely not
what you want.