user input

From: Gustavo A. Baratto
Subject: user input
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:56:04 -0800

greetings,

I couldn't find a good way of working with user input in the Makefiles:

What I want is to check if the variable was defined in the command line, if not print a msg in the screen asking for a value, read stdin for the value, and assign it to a variable. I did something like this:

I tried this
------
CREATE = ${shell echo 'read input; echo $$input' > input.sh}
CHMOD = ${shell chmod 700 input.sh}
$(warning  enter value 1:)
VALUE1 = ${shell ./input.sh}
$(warning  enter value 2:)
VALUE2 = ${shell ./input.sh}

test:
        echo ${VALUE1}
        echo ${VALUE2}
---------

the result is:
#make test
Makefile:3: enter value 1:
Makefile:5: enter value 2:
<PROMPT>
<PROMPT>

as you can see make prints all the warnings before giving me the prompts... I have no more ideas on how to get out of this. can someone help?

thanks :)