Recursive Make Considered Harmful (was: Re: executing a rule prior to a

From: gk
Subject: Recursive Make Considered Harmful (was: Re: executing a rule prior to any targets?)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 13:31:21 -0700

At 01:57 AM 10/20/2002 -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:
I don't know what Paul was referring to in the manual, but I will
suggest that you read, if you haven't already, the "Recursive Make
Considered Harmful" paper by Peter Miller:

http://owlsoft.ne.client2.attbi.com/build/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

Thank you very much - excellent discussion. I am thoroughly convinced this is the way to go: make should only ever be run from the top level directory, using a single makefile (which includes all others, in subdirectories).

Fortunately, my current system is not far from the goal Miller describes:
I already have all makefiles in subdirectories being auto-generated from top level rules and included by the top level makefile.

The key change I need to make is that all generated dependencies use filename paths relative from the TOP level directory (or absolute paths). As a convenience, my system will automatically cd to top level project directory if 'make' command is issued from any subdirectory.

If anyone has contrary experience of the validity of Miller's arguments I'd love to hear them.

Greg Keraunen <address@hidden>