Re: How to have real newline in emdeded command lines?

From: Toomas Rosin
Subject: Re: How to have real newline in emdeded command lines?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:31:03 +0300 (EEST)

Hello!

   %% Jean-Cedric Chappelier <address@hidden> writes:

     jc> What I want to do is to have a sed command emeded in the make
     jc> directives, but this sed command has to have some newlines in there.

     jc> So, is there a way to do this??

   No.

Actually, there is, sort of.

Suppose you want to execute, from a Makefile, the following command:

   echo 'a
   c'

This can be done as follows:

        (                  \
          echo "echo 'a";  \
          echo "b";        \
          echo "c'"        \
        ) | $(SHELL)

I don't know how portable this method is, but it works with bash-2.05.

I guess Jean-Cedric should do this:

        @(                                                                   \
          echo 'psselect -q -p2 fichesresume.ps |\';                         \
          echo 'sed '\''/^TextDict begin$$/ a\';                             \
          echo 'SDict begin [ /CropBox [0 40 595 850] /PAGES pdfmark end\';  \
          echo 'Someothestuff'\'' | ps2pdf - variables.pdf'                  \
        ) | $(SHELL)

Hope this helps,
Toomas.

P.S.  Is there a standard way of replying to a message in this list
without having been sent it, i.e. only having read it in the archive?
I did "M-x rmail-input RET 2002-October.txt RET" and hit "r", but the
headers said something about imparsable addresses, so I had to mess
with headers manually, and me not a mail guru.  Is there a better way?

T.