passing -j option to a sub-make

From: Philippe HAUTION
Subject: passing -j option to a sub-make
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:51:25 +0200

Hello,

We are using this kind of Makefile to launch several sub-makes (gmake 3.79.1 on Solaris 8) :

.POSIX:
SHELL=/bin/ksh

SSP   = sources tools

LOOP = @for ssp in $(SSP); do \
         (echo $$ssp :; cd $$ssp; \
          if [[ ! -f Makefile.dep ]]; then \
            $(MAKE) depend; \
          fi; \
          $(MAKE) $@ || return 1) \
       done

debug release clean cleand cleanr refresh depend pure :
   $(LOOP)

It is running fine except in parallel mode with the -j N option. We get this
warning :
"jobserver unavailable: using -j1. Add `+' to parent make rule.". However, parallel mode works if we are launching gmake directly in any subdirectory.

The manual says this warning means that the parent has troubles determining the
child is a make, which is quite confusing since the MAKE variable seems
properly used.

Any idea ?

Regards,

--