Re: Licencing issues (Was: Re: posix standards? $(CURDIR) or $$PWD or $

From: gk
Subject: Re: Licencing issues (Was: Re: posix standards? $(CURDIR) or $$PWD or $(shell pwd)?)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:18:54 -0700

At 04:47 PM 10/11/2002 -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
%% gk <address@hidden> writes:

  g> One of my concerns is licensing: If my product uses
  g> Gnu-make-specific features in its Makefiles will it be considered
  g> 'derivative' and bound by the GPL?

No, definitely not.  In the same way that if you write your code using
Emacs, or compile it with GCC, or run it using bash as your shell, it
does not become bound by the GPL, so controlling your builds with GNU
make does not bind whatever's built with the GPL .

What if I write an interface to Gnu make that 'extends' its functionality?

In my case, my 'product' is not so much the output of make as the INTERFACE and tools for generating and managing Makefiles.

The XmlMake system adds an abstraction layer of relationships between file types, source files, output files, targets and rules. It is a generalized system, but the initial motivation is for supporting document generation from template files.

The template files have a syntax that indicates dependence on other data files to be merged. The data files to be merged are compiled from XML and also have a syntax which can indicate dependencies on other files (which may have further nested dependencies). XmlMake automatically detects dependencies, based on file types, checks for circularity, generates all the necessary makefiles and sets environmental variables which list the targets to be built by the default rule and list the files to be included in the 'master' Makefile for an entire project.

I can give more detail if you like.
If my build system depends on a feature of Gnu make, such as the 'include' directive, then is it a 'derivative' work?
- Greg Keraunen <address@hidden>