help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some random stuff

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Some random stuff
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:18:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, October 16, 2009 1:16 pm, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> Here's a test level with holes in it, allowing several fighters at the
> same
> spot:
> http://www.kasperhviid.dk/fluffy.rar
Hey, cool! Didn't try it yet, but I'm curious to see the gameplay of it.

BTW, I'm not satisfied with the current extra-maps package. It's a pain to
release, maintain, and it keeps static because I'm the only one to commit
on the Arch depot on Savannah. To some extent, it's good to have an
"official" set of extra maps. They don't belong to the main package, and
it's good to have them sorted a bit. But... there's a gap to fill. IMHO we
need sort of a community web site, a platform to share maps. The way I
view things, we just need a platform to exchange .zip files (no rar
*pleaaaaase*) through the web. The killer features would be:
- versioning
- file rating, users being able to give stars and comment levels
- screenshot to accompany the .zip file, allowing easier browsing
- basic metadata such as "requires 0.0.7beta at least"
- per-user organization, every contributor has its space, and maintains
his (her?) own garbage
- possibility to mass-export levels, for instance to construct a
consolidated extra-maps every now and then

I know for sure this is possible (that's typically the sort of platform I
work on at my job) but I don't feel like installing a big ol' Alfresco
just for this. I imagine there might be easier ways to go, and besides,
I'm pretty sure there are a bazillion people out there knowing how to
handle this, while I believe I'm more efficient working on the core parts
of the game.

The gnu.org servers probably can't handle this, the ressource we have for
LW6 is just plain static HTML hosting. Savannah might allow PHP/MySQL. I
should check. I also do have the way to host pretty much anything on
ufoot.org since it's a dedicated server I rent, running Debian. But...
there's a big but, I don't feel like giving any root access to this ;)
Besides, the tool we would use must (really must) be Free Software (as in
speech). It could also be hosted elsewhere. Maybe that would even be
better. This "community" site, with its main "map sharing" appliance,
could be run by someone else, that would probably be even better than
relying on me.

What d'ya think?

> Here's a piece of graphic which could replace bubble.png:
> (Just place it in data\gfx\gl\background\bubbles\image\)
Wow wow, looks good. Now fumes.png looks so crappy we need to upgrade it
too ;)

> Notice the green colors - I now know how to change the background colors
> using style.xml, which is quite fun!
Yeah, matrix fashion.

Have a nice day,

Christian.