help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Visual tuning of the floating HUD

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Visual tuning of the floating HUD
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:00:11 +0200 (CEST)

Current release does support it. Depends on which bitmaps, but it's just a
question of activating it or not. I'm not a transparency addict, if it's
not mandatory I turn it off but when it's nice, I keep it. Examples of
transparency include, for instance, the bubbles in the background. Also,
any map that has an alpha-layer enabled PNG as a texture will be handle
correctly (there's even a hack to support transparency through a special
JPEG file) and finally, on multi layered maps, fighters are shown with
alpha blending when they are in a "tunnel".

So well, yes, transparency is handled. Technically it's just a matter of
enabling blending through OpenGL, it's trivial to do. Performance is yet
another thing. Blending, in theory, is supposed to be slow. What I've seen
on the hardware I have is that slow hardware is slow and fast hardware is
fast whatever options you activate ;) I'm exagerating a bit, maybe. What
I've done in some parts of the code, is that if I know there's no alpha
layer, or if it's "opaque" everywhere, I just turn blending off. It's not
always possible to do this, but when it's easy, I do it.

That was about transparency ;)

Have a nice day,

ufoot.