help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] Fighter Eyecandy Brainstorm

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] Fighter Eyecandy Brainstorm
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:42:59 +0200

I made this a seperate post because of the many images.

I try to come up with some eyecandy effects for the fighters. This is an extremely fun task, the hard work would be actually to program this stuff. I still feel a bit like I'm reinventing the wheel - I have a feeling that a lot of people know exactly what can be done, how it should be done ... but nevermind. I'm having fun!

The fighter bitmap has been blured slightly:

Here is an random texture (it's concrete from my balcony)

The blured fighter bitmap has been combined with the texture in overlay mode:

It will look like this in the game. Of course, different textures could be used for different effects for different levels. It could also be given a sharper edge.

I once painted a picture in Photoshop where I tried to create various dirty effects: A finger in front of the lens, The flash reflecting in the background, etc:

One thing I discovered while creating the painting was a way to convert blurry graphic into liquid (the blood). A puddle has sharp edges, not blurry. But there is a thicker area of liquid in the center than at the edges. If the liquid is semi-transparent, the thicker area will be more colorful. I tried to simulate this this by using Levels. The middle input slider was dragged to the left, while the black input slider was dragged a bit towards it to make the edge sharper.

Below, the fighter bitmap has been blured, and liquified:

I tried to get it to look cool in actual play, but failed. But now you know the technique. Anyway, we could also use it as a depth map:

Same as above, but the depth map has been combined with a texture set to ovelay blending mode: