Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Freely available Jami video-conference channel for those interested
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:14:38 -0500

Hello Simon,

> Hi Maxim,
>
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 at 00:04, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> $ guix shell jami-gnome dbus glib gtk+ openssl nss-certs \
>>     -- dbus-run-session jami-gnome
>>
>> I hope it proves useful in fostering more live collaboration in the
>> community!  Extra rendezvous points could also be deployed if needed.
>> If the experience is successful we could seek a better place to host
>> such service for the community (where it could be managed by the
>> collective of Guix sysadmins rather than myself for example).
>
> It works very well – on foreign distro at least. :-) We tried this
> evening with Julien.  Well, it is probably because long-distance, we
> noticed a delay between sound and video.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad it worked OK.  Audio and video
synchronization issues are relatively common in Jami (I'm guessing it's
a difficult problem!), especially on systems lacking video acceleration
(such as mine -- GPU vendors typically require binary blobs to drive
their video decoders).  Where video acceleration is possible, I think it
takes care of the synchronization problem itself, which explains why it
often works better there.

> I hope hack sessions will be organize soon.  Ah, just for my
> information, is it possible to share a screen or something?

Yes, both desktop clients (GNOME and Qt) support it.

> Thanks for sharing this very useful resource.

My pleasure!  I'm happy to hear it may be put to good use!

Maxim