Re: Advise on how to debug screen with only GRUB and blinking cursor and

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Advise on how to debug screen with only GRUB and blinking cursor and possibly save my dualboot installation
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 17:41:22 +0100

Le 19/12/2022 à 15:20, Sophoklis Goumas a écrit :

This kind of confirms the output of the boot-repair-disk which I've only used
for debugging the situation, namely:

Grub2 (v1.99-2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks
at sector 2048 of the same hard drive for core.img, but core.img
can not be found at this location.

Can you post the full report from the current state, excuding the grub.cfg part ? After you ran grub-install, the core image should be present again in sda1. But /boot should now be gone.

I haven't used any of that disk's/utility's "repair" options so that
the system will not get messed up any further and I'd like to retain it's
current status for the reason I explain further down.

If you ran grub-install on /dev/sda, it messed up the system.

This is wrong. A BIOS boot partition (bios_grub flag) should not contain
a filesystem. The purpose of this type of partition is exclusively to
store a raw GRUB core image.

This setup, as unconventional/wrong as it is, WAS working flawlessly
for more than 4-5 years

Such setup cannot possibly work and is doomed to break. The same partition cannot be used as bios_grub and /boot at the same time. Also, I fail to see how Windows could be the culprit unless it messed with the partition table itself and merged the two partitions.