Re: Advise on how to debug screen with only GRUB and blinking cursor and

From: Sophoklis Goumas
Subject: Re: Advise on how to debug screen with only GRUB and blinking cursor and possibly save my dualboot installation
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:53:51 +0200

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 at 02:54, josep lladonosa capell
<jlladonosa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ir seems GRUB reinstalls correctly.
>
> Perhaps Windows updates/repair changed boot disk order.

This is the exact reason I posted this.

I feel we have a rare case of unconventional setup that WAS working in
our hands and all of a sudden Windows somehow messed this up and
before I go ahead and disregard this case, we could somehow benefit
from this and find out how to undo that change and bring things back to
an operational point.

This might prove useful to anyone that might be in the same situation
I am today.

By unconventional I mean, I have a GPT partition table (even though
this wasn't required) and an seperate 2GB ext4 partition meant to hold
the files of /boot.

Maybe the automated recovery procedures run by Windows did something
to the disks with their "bootrec /fixmbr" and/or "bootrec /fixboot" commands.

So what I am looking for instructions on how to debug this.

For example, are there any dd command templates:
that will extract the partition table to check/verify
either its type (MSDOS/GPT) or its structure.

Sophoklis