Re: Remote management of the default boot option?

From: Vanush Misha Paturyan
Subject: Re: Remote management of the default boot option?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:58:24 +0000

On Dec 13 2022 14:49:41 +0100, Marek Kozlowski wrote:
> :-)
>
> I have a group of hosts with several OSes (including Linux) installed. Those
> are placed in several, sometimes distant, places.
>
> What I'm interested in is:
> to have some central database that allow specifying that for the nearest
> bootup:
> - workstations A, B, C and D should start by default Linux,
> - workstations E, F, G and H should start by default Windows 7,
> - other workstations should start by default Windows 10.
> I mean getting the 'default' option by some kind of a DHCP-like request to a
> centrally managed database.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot find such a feature. Did I miss something or there is
> no such a possibility? :-(

I have not done it myself with Grub, but looking at the [1] it looks like it is
possible to configure Grub to retrieve its configuration file from a TFTP
server, and that the name of the file it will look for will depend on the MAC
address, or the IP address (or the parts of) of the workstation that is being
booted.

But it might be easier to achieve what you are looking for via some
conviguration management tool, like Ansible, and re-generate the grub.cfg file
on the hosts themselves, without making your boot process depend on the network
being there (what going to happend to your workstations if, for example, your
TFTP or DHCP server goes down? I personally would prefer them to boot into
something, even if it is without a network, than being stuck in the grub
emergency shell).

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Network.html

Cheers,

Misha