Re: UEFI multiboot control usurped with each kernel update

From: Barry Jackson
Subject: Re: UEFI multiboot control usurped with each kernel update
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 09:38:39 +0100

On 09/08/18 06:10, Felix Miata wrote:
With 3 distro installations on one disk, each OS as a kernel update is installed
updates NVRAM to make its entry in the ESP partition top priority. How can I
stop that from happening, so that my choice of priority remains first instead of
me needing to remember before shutdown or reboot to run efibootmgr to put it
back like it was before the kernel update? I don't want to prevent the update
from creating a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg, only from usurping boot priority.

In Mageia you can use drakboot (from MCC) and select to "not touch MBR or ESP" in an Advanced screen. This adds switches ( --bootloader-id=tmp --no-nvram) to grub2-install in /boot/grub2/install.sh (which is used during kernel updates) to stop the nvram entries being upset.
It is a hack using a dummy entry, but it works.
How or if other distros implement this functionality I have no idea.