Re: UEFI multiboot control usurped with each kernel update

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: UEFI multiboot control usurped with each kernel update
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 23:54:54 -0400

Felix Miata composed on 2018-08-09 01:10 (UTC-0400):

> With 3 distro installations on one disk, each OS as a kernel update is
> installed
> updates NVRAM to make its entry in the ESP partition top priority. How can I
> stop that from happening, so that my choice of priority remains first instead
> of
> me needing to remember before shutdown or reboot to run efibootmgr to put it
> back like it was before the kernel update? I don't want to prevent the update
> from creating a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg, only from usurping boot priority.

What I've been doing is commenting out the EFI partition line in fstab of all
distros except the
one I wish to retain boot priority in NVRAM. So far it seems to be effective in
preventing
updates usurpation. Can anyone think of reason(s) why this might be a bad idea?
So far, I've
come up with nothing.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/