Re: nativedisk usage

From: Mihai Moldovan
Subject: Re: nativedisk usage
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 07:04:26 +0200

* On 09/04/2018 09:12 PM, adrian15 wrote:
> Check Super Grub2 Disk source code. I had to fix or workaround this.
> Or maybe I didn't need to.
>
> The code would be here:
>
> https://github.com/supergrub/supergrub/blob/master/menus/sgd/enablenative.cfg

From the code above, I guess you haven't used a workaround for this problem.

I guess that after switching to native disk drivers, SGD would suffer from the
same problem.

However, the source is a bit more convoluted: grub *does* change prefix and root
automatically, IFF UUIDs match. grub determines root and prefix UUIDs first
using the non-native disk drivers, then loads the native disk drivers and
iterates over the disk drives until file systems matching the UUIDs have been
found. The variables are automatically changed to reference the found
drives/partitions.

This automatic "conversion" normally works, but it failed on my system for two
reasons:
  - the non-native disk drivers were unable to correctly read data off the
    drives, so no UUID was detected for the original prefix/root values
  - the only device that worked correctly with non-native drivers was a thumb
    drive (USB), but ironically never showed up with native disk drivers, so it
    is/was essentially "lost".

I've read that you've had problems with usbms three years ago, but that was
fixed meanwhile. On my machine, loading only usbms does nothing and loading both
ehci and usbms let grub go into an infinite loop.

Anyway, to summarize on my original question: if both native and non-native disk
drivers work correctly, grub already changes the root and prefix values to the
native disk driver equivalents. If it doesn't, something's broken.

Mihai