Re: search by PARTUUID

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: search by PARTUUID
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:21:11 +0200

From: Pascal Hambourg [mailto:address@hidden

Le 11/04/2018 à 10:00, Urs Ritzmann a écrit :

Currently, the filesystem UUID is used in the search. It works, but the fs UUID
has to be updated after an image update which is a bit
ugly. A constant PARTUUID pointing to current image would be more clean.

Can't the same UUID be used when creating a new image ?

The same image can be installed to different partitions (e.g. in a fail-safe
dual-copy approach, the currently active image always updates another, inactive
image, then toggles the boot to the new one).

In case the same image is installed twice (to different partitions), I would
end up with both images having the same UUID.

And that would be a bad thing, because UUIDs are supposed to be unique. You wrote that rewriting the filesystem UUID was a bit ugly, but IMO not doing it and having duplicate UUIDs is much more ugly.

Looking at the grub-devel mailing list archives, I found out that some patches have been submitted to add support for partition UUIDs in GRUB. But I don't know their status nor whether that is exactly the kind of support that you are looking for. IIUC, the submitter seemed more interested in using PARTUUID in the Linux kernel root parameter than in search commands.