Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header

From: Maxim Fomin
Subject: Support for plain dm-crypt and detached LUKS header
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:40:58 +0300

 Hi!

After reviewing grub help I see no support for plain dm-crypt, despite
the fact that LUKS is supported (my understanding is that it is easier
to implement plain dm-crypt than luks, but may be wrong - in any case
it is irrelevant). After googling the problem I see that there were
some patches to support the feature
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2015-06/msg00109.html)
but it seems they were not accepted.

So, what is the state of supporting plain dm-crypt? Having support for
plain dm-crypt or detached luks header helps denying that the
partition is cryptocontainer.

Best regards,
Maxim Fomin