booting freebsd 9.1 with grub2 on usf drive

From: Tom Oakes
Subject: booting freebsd 9.1 with grub2 on usf drive
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 14:16:38 -0600

Hello,

I have a 2 disk computer. HD1 is divided into 4 partitions Partition1 contain freebsd 8.2. Partition 2 filled with garbage. partition is extended and holds ubuntu. I am trying to get pcbsd work in partition 4.

I use GAG to boot the various Operating systems. GAG finds a Freebsd loader for freebsd 8.2 and freebsd 9.1. Gag finds a grub2 loader for ubuntu. This grub will also loads freebsd 8.2 but not 9.2. I can not get PCBSD boot with GAG. My system boots from the HD1 MBR.

I do not want to try installing a pcbsd boot loader in either disk's MBR until I can get all 3 systems to boot from my new install of usb grub2! I can currently boot ubuntu and freebsd8.2 from usb grub, but have been able to get freebsd 9.1 to boot. I haven't tried to get pcbsd to boot from the usb grub yet.

Searching the web for direction find many suggestions but I have found nothing that works. Many are version unknown.

Below is the usb grub 40_custom. As you can see from the commented out lines, I have tried many different combinations of entered commands.

Do you have any suggestions?

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "FreeBSD 8.2" {
        insmod ufs2
        set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
 #       search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set  4c9511e4308fb60f
        kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
 #       kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
 #       kfreebsd_module /boot/splash.bmp type=splash_image_data
        set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:ad4s1a
}

menuentry "FreeBSD 9.1"{
#           insmod chain
# insmod ufs2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
#           chainloader +1
#  kfreebsd /boot/kernel
 # set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:ad1s1a
# title  Freebsd 9.1
#rootnoverify   (hd0,1)
#root (hd0,a)
kernel /boot/kernel/kernel
END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

If you also have suggestions on how I try to boot the pcbsd OS, I would appreciate them!

Thanks,

Tom Oakes