grub rebooting continuously

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: grub rebooting continuously
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:42:22 +0100

Hi,

I need GRUB2 to boot GNU/HURD Debain which I run an "classic" [1] computer which has supported HURD (and GRUB) to about a year and a half ago, when my HDD broke down.

To reinstall, since the machine now was too little RAM to install HURD, I took the HDD, put it in a newer, faster x86 class machine with PATA, installed. On the "host" machine, GRUB boots HURD. I disabled framebuffer in the config file.

When put back in the original computer, I get into an infinite loop: computer starts, POSTS, instead of seeing the menu, the computer reboots and goes so on forever.

What can I do to fix that? I tried "esc" an "shift" without success.

Is  there a floppy I can use to try to access this machine?

I trued subergrubdisk, but that too does the same thing (although I can sometimes with "shift" get an exception seen on the display before the computer reboots).

I thus suppose that since a certain version, Grub2 has become incompatible with my computer.

Any hints to work around, fix or at least give more information?

Than you

Riccardo

[1] Siemens Workstation, Pentium II, PS/2 Keyboard, Floppy and an nVidia Riva AGP card