Re: Non-Linux, non-Unix platforms

From: peter
Subject: Re: Non-Linux, non-Unix platforms
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 08:06:18 -0700

From:   Dee Sharpe <address@hidden>
Date:   Fri, 1 Aug 2014 23:25:03 -0600
> Is it possible to use Grub2 on platforms other than Linux?

Yes.  I have a laptop from which the hdd was temporarily
removed and connected to a Debian Wheezy system.  There
the drive was partitioned to have several parts.  The
grub part was formatted to ext4.  ext2 or ext3 should work
as well.  Grub2 was installed according to the manual,
giving a /boot/grub directory containing many files including
a grub.cfg.  To start NO these lines were added to the grub.cfg.
menuentry "Native Oberon" {
 chainloader (hd0,5)+1
 }

Native Oberon was installed in hd0,5, the first extended part,
and configured to boot directly.  The NO entry appears in the menu
and NO starts with no problem.

Messages relating to this setup begin with
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2014-06/msg00011.html
and conclude with
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2014-07/msg00022.html
..

NO is the only complete OS on this machine and NO uses AosFS which
grub does not recognize.  So grub is likely to be able to start most OSs in
a similar way.  The --unrestricted option in the menuentry blocks display
of the NO entry and I have yet to find why.  No harm from this; --unrestricted
is no benefit.

Regards,                                ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/  Bcc: peter at easthope. ca