Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:59:46 -0700

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Petro <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 13/3/25 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:54:51 +0000
>> From: "Simon Hobson"  <address@hidden>
>>

>> Hard to say which (if either) is wrong. Both arguments have their merits,
>> and if you need one of the enhanced features then that swings it for you. It
>> just makes it "a bit harder" for those who do these things once in a blue
>> moon and so can't easily remember the magic incantations.
>

> I don't think either is wrong, but it would be nice if grub-install had a
> bit of logic in it that said "Oh, this is a really basic install" and does
> the minimal. If given a flag (say --complicated :) ) or if the logic
> determines that a more complicated install is necessary, then "do the
> needful".

That implies that "grub-install /dev/sda" or, in the case of a non
chrooted LiveCD/USB environment, "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/ &&
grub-install ---boot-directory=/mnt/boot/" is complicated. I can't see
how it could be made more simple, as the two pieces of information
passed to grub-install, where /boot/grub/ can be found (if not at
/boot/grub/) and where grub's boot sector should go, are both
necessary. When there is no boot sector, like with UEFI systems, as
long as the EFI System Partition and /boot/grub/ are mounted properly
the command is only "grub-install" with no other arguments. That seems
as simple and minimal to me as a bootloader installation can be. Can
you propose a simpler command?

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)