Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Breaking out of menu on "live disk", repairing grub
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:03:25 +0400

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Felix Miata <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2013-03-25 12:15 (GMT+0400) Andrey Borzenkov composed:
>

>> Simon Hobson wrote:
>

>>> back in Grub 1 days, I could remember how to install grub just by
>>> mounting the filesystem, chrooting to it, and issuing a few grub commands.
>>> I've never managed to make this work with 1.99 (as currently installed with
>>> Debian). Is there a simple set of commands that will do what worked in grub
>>> 1 (going form memory here) :
>>> hd0 = /dev/sda
>>> root = (hd0,0)
>>> install (hd0)
>

>> mkdir /sysroot
>> mount /dev/your-root-dev /sysroot
>> mount /dev/your-boot-dev /sysroot/boot
>> mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
>> mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
>> mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
>> mount --bind /run /sysroot/run (recommended if you are using systemd)
>> chroot /sysroot
>> grub-install /dev/your-grub-boot-device (may be grub2-install on some
>> distro)
>

> Lots more to remember than what I do with Grub Legacy:

The only thing to remember is grub-install. Everything else is
standard "create proper chroot environment" which is not related to
what you are going to do in chroot.

What exactly is the point of your comment?

> # grub                          # if booted to live media,

Did you try to do it in chroot without mounting /dev on any modern
distribution?

> grub> root (hd0,2)              # e.g. in this case third partition on first

Or this without having correct device.map? Which is implied by lack of
"chroot" in your example.