Can Grub2 boot Windows98?

From: David Breeding
Subject: Can Grub2 boot Windows98?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 11:17:16 -0600

I have just now upgraded my Debian system to Squeeze, and
in the process, it installed grub2, and I set it up to chainload
from Legacy Grub into Grub2.

I posted this query on debian-user earlier this week, but have
received no replies.

I have Windows 98 on (h0,1), with my Debian on this drive.
I also have Win XP on (h1,1).

Grub2 boots Debian and XP from (h1) OK, but 98 on (h0,1)
will not boot.  When this OS is selected, the Windows Logo
appears, and the progress bar at the bottom begins to move
from left to right normally, but quickly slows down to a bare
crawl.

However, Win98 still seems to boot normally when booted
from the Legacy Menu, so it seems that the bootloader for 98
has not been harmed.

I first began with the entire Grub2 Menu being built from the grub_mkconfig
command and letting os_prober create all entries, but have since
inserted all the other OS's into the custom file for use with grub_mkconfig,
and tried various combinations for the Win98 portion.

I don't have my Debian system available, but basically, the setup
is:
# some insmod about ms_something, I think
insmod fat    # The filesystem is fat32, without LBA (doesn't grub2 autodetect LBA?)
root=(h0,1)
drivemap -s (h0) ${root}   # Is this even necessary?
chainloader +1

I tried adding the command "insmod chain" (I think this is correct) for just in case,
but that didn't help.

I have Googled for any info but I've not found anything that refers to Win 98, but I'm
wondering if there's something about that old a system that Grub2 doesn't like.
Win 98 is not critical to me, but I'd still like to be able to have it available before
eliminating Legacy Grub.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate any help.