Re: Working gettext example for grub.cfg?

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Working gettext example for grub.cfg?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:15:20 +0400

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>   example_variable=5
>>>   echo $"The value of \$example_variable is: $example_variable !"
>>>

>> One more problem associated with run-time l10n is it makes it even
>> more complicated for an end user to edit menu entries. As today the
>> only possibility to adjust kernel parameters is to enter full menu
>> entry editor, this is something that needs solution before run-time
>> l10n can really be introduced.
>
> I don't understand. What problem are you having currently with
> localization and the menu entry editor?

I do not have any problems. But moving l10n into grub.cfg (as opposed
to current putting translated strings there) means that

a) user is suddenly presented with English strings instead of
localized text as soon as menu entry editor is entered
b) it becomes even more incomprehensible for an average user.

I have seen many users complaining about how hard it became to simply
add "3" to kernel command line in grub2.