Working gettext example for grub.cfg?

From: Ronny Standtke
Subject: Working gettext example for grub.cfg?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:42:50 +0100

Hi all

I was excited to see that grub2 has a build-in gettext command.

I am trying to build a grub.cfg that makes use of this feature so that users of our distribution (based on Debian Live) can switch the grub menu to their language. Unfortunately, I completely failed to produce even the simplest working example, e.g. assigning translated text to a variable. I tried many combinations:
-----------------
TRANSLATED=gettext "foo"
TRANSLATED=$(gettext "foo")
TRANSLATED="$(gettext "foo")"
-----------------

All attempts ended in either $TRANSLATED holding just the text "gettext" or in syntax errors.

Could you please provide a simple working example of the gettext feature in a grub.cfg script?

Thank you very much

Ronny Standtke
--
erreichbar von Mo-Fr, Büro B.105