Re: dual grub install?

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: Re: dual grub install?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:51:46 -0700 (PDT)

I was originally thinking that our OP had two different bootable partitions to
begin with (like a recovery partition and a loader partition, which are
separate from the actual "drive C:" partition), and was thinking that orginally
the script only looked for the loader paritition but has since been re-written
to look for recovery partitions or whatever as well. (So that before there was
only one entry and now there are two.)

Now John Page is saying that the "drive C:" paritition itself is bootable. Hmm.
I didn't think it had a VBR bootloader. I thought you had to chainload the
loader partition. Chainloading the "drive C:" partition could be a useful
technique in recovering Windows as I mention in the other thread. Maybe the
script has been re-written to detect the actual "drive C: partition" as well.
That would explain having only one entry before and having two now.

Funny you bring up an anti-optical drive metality, Chris. My own dislike of
optical discs is what brought me to Grub in the first place.

I hardly ever use optical discs.
Bootable thumb drives/external USB drives all the way! Plus I use CDEmu
in Linux to play my games in WINE without touching the CDs/DVDs.

Then when you find out about the
magic of QEMU, that's a second death-blow to something you already
killed. (you can make a real hard drive be -hda or -hdb in QEMU very
easily: -hda /dev/sdb, but you'll need to run QEMU as root)

And I _think_ you can also do phony
"emulation" of a CD drive by manipulating BIOS routines with grub4DOS,
which works if you're booting into something that never talks to the CD
drive, but rather always uses a BIOS routine to do that for it. Of
course this must be on a BIOS machine, or at least have a BIOS loaded in
memory. This method works for booting an iso of an Acronis true image
CD, but Clonezilla is vastly superior, and that boots off USB easily.
Besides, I'd prefer the QEMU technique anyways. I know that memdisk does
pho-emulation of a floppy drive in the above fashion.

Cheers,
Jake