Re: Again: 'error: no such disk'

From: Neal Murphy
Subject: Re: Again: 'error: no such disk'
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 14:36:01 -0500

On Monday 05 December 2011 10:44:00 Jordan Uggla wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Neal Murphy <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > On Monday 05 December 2011 02:01:13 Jordan Uggla wrote:

> >> "IIRC" is not very useful when you're asking for support. I don't want
> >> to spend my time trying to debug a problem only to find out that you
> >> remembered something incorrectly. Please run "grub-install /dev/hda"
> >> (without --debug), save the exact output, try booting again, and
> >> report success or failure.
> >
> > Sorry, didn't realize you wanted the simple result sans debug info;
> > 'grub- install /dev/hda' always reported its usual 'no errors detected;
> > success' message.
>
> Please run "grub-install /dev/hda" (without --debug), save the exact
> output, try booting again, and report success or failure. It sounds
> like you didn't actually do this since you didn't quote the exact
> output. I know this may seem tedious but I would really appreciate you
> following the steps again so as not to rely on your memory. Also, if
> grub does fail to boot after running grub-install again, please
> confirm that "ls" from the grub rescue shell (which I assume is what
> you're getting to) lists no drives or partitions.

Tedium is fixing source files one at a time whenever the iptables API changes
or the GCC required syntax changes.

I ran the 'grub-install /dev/hda' command several hundred times over the past
three weeks; it either reported success via its "Installation finished. No
error reported" message, or it complained about one thing or another when I
did something wrong. When it simply reported "Installation finished. No error
reported", I I would reboot and try it.

After every apparently successful grub-install and then booting the system
from the hard drive (either in KVM/QEMU or on real iron), grub always, without
exception, reported no such drive and dropped me into the grub rescue prompt
where 'ls' always, without exception, produced a blank line of output (showing
no drives).