grub-install to floppy

From: k2011gen
Subject: grub-install to floppy
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 20:36:47 -0500

I tried to create 3 boot floppies each with another filesystem, the results are
pasted in below. The DOS one didn't work at all.

I have 4 questions:

1
are the MANY error messages just betastuff or is there a cure for them?

2
what do I need to do to successfuly make the DOS floppy?

3
How come these floppies show about 1/4 free space but I cannot add so much as a
spare menu file to the mounted filesystem?

4
what happens if I do not include

--root-directory=/0/floppy

or any such statement?

I can't understand what the manual says about this option.

TIA

Using grub-install against a floppy

#dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0
# mkdosfs /dev/fd0
# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /0/floppy
# /usr/local/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/0/floppy fd0
/usr/local/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `fd0'.
Invalid device `fd0'.
Try `/usr/local/sbin/grub-setup --help' for more information.
# umount /dev/fd0
-------------Boot failed. Disk not bootable.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0
# mkfs -t minix /dev/fd0u1440
# mount -t minix /dev/fd0 /0/floppy
# /usr/local/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/0/floppy fd0
/usr/local/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot stat `fd0'.
/usr/local/sbin/grub-probe: error: minix does not support UUIDs.
You attempted a cross-disk install, but the filesystem
containing /0/floppy/boot/grub does not support UUIDs.
# umount /dev/fd0

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0
# mke2fs /dev/fd0
# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /0/floppy
# /usr/local/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/0/floppy fd0
cp: cannot create regular file `/0/floppy/boot/grub/diskboot.img':
No space left on device
...but after a few seconds the floppy starts writing regardless
# umount /dev/fd0