Re: grub and uncommon LVM

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: grub and uncommon LVM
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 19:44:44 -0800

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Марк Коренберг <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1. Does the grub2 support LVM logical volumes, when it's physical
> extents are placed on different physical volumes ?
> 2. If i migrate LVM from one device to another, does the first stage
> find all modules, etc... How information is stored in stage 1 loader ?
> just sector ranges ?

Grub2 is used in ubuntu 9.10 which I've successfully installed on my
laptop.  /boot is an LVM volume within a real partition that contains
the Physical Volume.

The important thing is that your /boot volume _remain in place_ or
that you re-install your MBR/where-ever stage 1 is.  The real reason
behind that is that the core files are not stored as filesystem
references, but a pre-determined list of blocks to load and execute.
Those lists are generated at the install time.  If you move the
location, or even alter the files within, your /boot filesystem you'd
likely need to re-install the loader to update the block-list.