Re: grub-install "(hd0)" put it on the mbr :( using grub version 1.96

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: grub-install "(hd0)" put it on the mbr :( using grub version 1.96
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:26:01 +0200

shirish wrote:
Hi all,
      I did the grub-install "(hd0)" & it happened without any errors.

This is the way my hard disk is set up.

1. IDE0 = Windows 160 GB HDD
2. IDE1 = GNU/Linux 80 GB HDD

The only way I know is to use the BIOS to change the hdds & then boot
up the relevant OS.
I want to set up so when I'm booting into windows, the windows
bootloader will come up & when I do IDE1 then GNU/Linux boots up.

Now after grub-install "hd0" it seems to have wiped up the windows
bootloading mechanism. So grub goes to grub-rescue mode.

Any & all help would be appreciated.

Hi,

So lets test this mailing list for a bit... It seems we don't have reply-to set on this list...

When you use BIOS to swap devices, BIOS device numbers shown to GRUB changes. This change is not known at time when you install GRUB.

Looking at your other message which contains you grub.cfg (and grub.lst) we can see that other is using hd0 while other is using hd1 (partition part ,0 and ,1 is Ok as partition numbering was changed to start from 1 in GRUB2).

Problem you are facing when you are trying to boot, is that it cannot load kernel files as they point to wrong devices.

I am not exactly sure how debian does this configuration process, but you may have device.map file some where (in example /boot/grub/device.map). Check that this file contains (hd0) as IDE1 and (hd1) as IDE0. This is true when you have set IDE1 as default boot device in BIOS. If you want to install GRUB to start from IDE0 then you have to have (hd0) as IDE0 and (hd1) as IDE1.

After device.map is corrected, you can try to install again.

To fix your Windows boot record, there exists several different Linux tools do install regular Windows MBR, name of this tool seems to change from distro-to-distro, so I skip it for now. So easiest would be to plug in your Windows installation CD, enter to recovery console (perhaps key R at some time) and type fixmbr. If this doesn't help, try also running fixboot.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen