Re: Building a cross-compile tool chain for mips-elf

From: Alfred von Campe
Subject: Re: Building a cross-compile tool chain for mips-elf
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:20:04 -0400

I'm still having the problem I sent to the list last week (see below), and the need to build a working cross-compiler is becoming greater. Is this the wrong list to ask about how to build a cross- compiler? I find it hard to believe that mips-elf is not a supported target. I just noticed that the target with the problem appears to be libstdc++, which we may not even need. But I would still be interested in building a more recent, working cross compiler tool chain, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alfred

My original message:

We have a rather ancient (gcc 3.2.3/binutils 2.13) cross-compile tool chain hosted on x86 Linux for a mips-elf target. Nobody remembers who or how it was built. We are running into a bug with as/ld that is supposedly fixed in binutils 2.17 and on. So I thought I may as well upgrade the entire tool chain. Here are the steps I followed (I'm sticking with gcc 3.X because there is some reluctance to jump to V4.X) :

    cd /some/where
    tar zxf bintuils-2.18.tar.gz
    tar zxf gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz
    tar zxf gcc-g++-3.4.6.tar.gz
    cd bintuils-2.18
./configure --target=mips-elf --prefix=/usr/local/mips-tools/ elf/3.4.6
    make
    make install
    export PATH=/usr/local/mips-tools/elf/3.4.6/bin:$PATH
    cd ../gcc-3.4.6
./configure --target=mips-elf --prefix=/usr/local/mips-tools/ elf/3.4.6
    make

At some point make calls configure, and I get the following error:

    configure: error: No support for this host/target combination.
    make: *** [configure-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 1

My questions are;

  1. Did I miss anything?
  2. Can I simply use the bintuils 2.18 binaries with
     the existing gcc 3.2.3 tool chain?

I ask the second question in case it's too complicated to fix whatever is causing the build error in the first place.

Thanks,
Alfred