help-gnuzilla

Re: If FOSS isn't your number one concern, why use IceCat?

From: Johannes Marbach
Subject: Re: If FOSS isn't your number one concern, why use IceCat?
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 12:53:39 +0100

It does make me a bit wary as well that IceCat isn't released as often. The latest public release on ftp.gnu.org is 60.7.0 from early June while the latest release of the same ESR line on ftp.mozilla.org is 60.9.0 from early September. I did not take the time to check what's in the update but I suppose they wouldn't update the ESR line without good reason.

On the other hand I am also unsure how to best work around this given that GNUzilla resources are limited.

Another problem is that Firefox is a giant application. Compiling IceCat on my laptop takes several hours and renders the machine completely unusable during the process which limits my ability to contribute. :(