help-gnunet

Re: Advanced chat with CADET?

From: lurchi
Subject: Re: Advanced chat with CADET?
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 00:31:17 +0200

Hello Tobias,

> I have started a few days ago to develop a GUI with GTK and libhandy
> for the CADET subsystem of GNUnet (
> https://gitlab.com/TheJackiMonster/cadet-gtk ).

Sounds good. GTK and libhandy would be my choice too if I wanted to
implement a GUI right now :-)

> I know there is already a project written in Nim for groupchats which
> crashes on my system currently but I still wanted to ask if there is
> already some sort of documentation about the Json-packages the
> groupchat is using.
>
> I would like to adapt on something like this to enhance the
> possibilites of my application without creating a completely seperate
> sort of channels etc. ^^'

the message format of the groupchat messages is not documented, but
you can quite easily extract it from the source code [1].
There are four message types which have two fields in common: "kind" and
"timestamp". Depending on the "kind" field there are other fields, e.g.
a "talk" message looks like this:

{
  "kind": "talk",
  "timestamp": <epoch time>,
  "sender": "<nick name or peer ID>",
  "content": "message content"
}

Please expect the message format to change as there isn't a lot of
brainpower in it. The goal was just to implement a proof of concept of
using the GNUnet APIs from Nim. It all originated in the development of
secushare [2] where our original plan was to use PSYC [3] as a message
format and protocol.

lurchi.

P.S.: do you get a stack trace when groupchat crashes? If you send me
more information I can investigate.

[1] https://git.gnunet.org/groupchat.git/tree/src/message.nim
[2] https://secushare.org/
[3] https://about.psyc.eu