help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Feature request -- better status info

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Feature request -- better status info
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:29:13 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> Now that there's a moderate amount of content available, I've been able to
> download some (non-text) files from GNUnet from the first time ever.  I
> noticed my node is only connected to 8 hosts, even though it receives over
> 200 HELO messages from the HTTP server.  Is this the same as what other
> people are seeing?  TCP support in my node is turned off pending a bugfix
> for the socket leak, so maybe the vast majority of hosts are TCP-only?
> That can't be right...

There's some problems with the connection module (in addition
to the tcp leak), and it seems to segfault now and then - CVS
version has some of the problems fixed.

But the real problem here is hit-and-run -users. They start a node,
play with it 30 minutes, and turn it off. The HELOs remain. The
HELOs should timeout per values set by user, but I wouldn't be
too sure they are doing that timeouting properly at the moment. ;)

The surplus helos just cause the node, now and then, to try
contact the heloed nodes, though after startup that happens in
longer and longer intervals after failures are experienced.
There's no great harm in that.

> Anyway, I would like gnunet-stats to give me more status info about what's
> happening with the network, specifically broken out by peer.  Minimally,
> it would be nice to see the IP addresses of the nodes gnunetd is connected
> to, but I'd like to be able to have peer-specific stats (throughput, bytes
> transferred, counts of each type of request, connection uptime, etc).
> If any developers are looking for a quick project, this likely wouldn't
> take too long.  I'd do it myself, but I haven't yet gotten very far on the
> IPv6 transport so I shouldn't promise anything more.  :-)  -Nathan

if ((pending_feature_requests % 10 == 0) &&
    (hands_full == YES) &&
    (free_developers <= 0) )
    whine_for(extra_developers);

CVS has some more statistics, but not on per-node -level. That would
need a bit more coding than dumping/collecting global stats.

Igor