help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Efficient and Various a/v pairs..

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Efficient and Various a/v pairs..
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 11:35:38 +0300

Hello Lewis,

> I have a few different classes of users that get different values for
> session limit, idle limit, IP, etc etc. . What would be the most efficient
> (fastest) way to authenticate and specify session attributes for  users?
> By storing the different values in mySQL (we currently have all users/
> passwords + more values in a mysql DB), or by making a different profile
> in the user or hints files with the different attr/ values within each
> profile?

Well, of course explicit profiles in raddb/users work faster than the
database lookup. However the tradeoff is usually not that noticeable.
The database lookup is more flexible in the sense that one can alter
the class data by a simple insert or update command and
the daemon will pick up the changes at once, without the need of
notifying it.

Since you already use the database, storing attributes there seems the
logical choice.

Regards,
Sergey