Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Best Emacs Mail client.
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 10:24:15 -0500

Jean Louis writes:

[...]
> Maildir format is number one choice for me, and I wish Emacs could be
> able to handle that, but it does not.
> https://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

[...]

That is not quite true, though.  Emacs can handle Maildir via nnmaildir,
Gnus's Maildir backend; albeit with some quirks, such as slower startup
times for Gnus for large number of messages.  Alternatively, one can use
nnimap, Gnus's IMAP backend, and point it to a local dovecot instance in
front of a local maildir.  Advantages of doing so include the efficiency
of dovecot in handling large amounts of mail, and trivially easy email
synchronization with other machines through IMAP, using isync's mbsync.

Have you tried using Gnus's nnimap?  I don't have nearly as many maildir
folders, but I do have multiple hundred folders, and a total of several
hundred thousand messages, and my dovecot+nnimap setup has been handling
it very well thus far.