Re: make a drawing with Emacs

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: make a drawing with Emacs
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 11:48:31 +0200

On Fri 04 Sep 2020 at 11:26, <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>> > Nevertheless, independently of how you embed the thing syntactically
>> > (SVG even allows extending the DTD!) users will throw chairs at you
>> > whenever it looks differently than in Chrome/Firefox/Internet Exploder
>> > Version 0.95 or something. Be sure to duck quickly :-)
>>
>> extending dtd?  interesting
>
> Yep [1]. "Interesting" is a polite way to put it. My take would rather
> be "@%#$&*!", but then, I was born in Spain, and some of us are said
> to have bad language ;-)
>
> My point is that those "norms" are built to leave bigcorps enough
> wiggle room to try to dominate the market by bending them. Otherwise
> the "norms" wouldn't be relevant in the first place.
>
> OTOH, no norms would be even worse. But one shouldn't be too naive
> to believe what's on the box. Just look inside :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/extend.html#PrivateElementsAndAttribute

I see what you mean by extending dtd.

I am not sure I would describe it that way.  SVG is limited in
fundamental ways and foreignObject allows to escape that limitation.  I
have used that in html with embeded svg to get into html again.  It is
not perfect but better than not having that ability at all.  VML was
much better in that regard.