Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 01:16:30 +0200

Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> From 1985 to 2010 (give or take a few years
> and discounting Java and some other modern
> language) Emacs was the best programmer's
> editor on the "by hackers, for hackers"
> category. I suppose that most current users
> come from that period.

I started using Emacs somewhere around
2011-06-11. Because I knew I did another thing
then, with either nano or Emacs. So either
I stopped using nano then, or I begun using
Emacs then ... (wait, that didn't make
any sense!)

So obviously, it pleases me, with your
give-or-take-a-few-years play, I am included in
the period! Even then, my hacker intuition
was impacable!

Now... "Emacs was the best programmer's editor
on the 'by hackers, for hackers' category" -

1) When did this stop, give or take
   a few years?

2) What editors/IDEs pushed Emacs down
   the ladder?

3) Is it possible to summarize in three or four
   sentences, what they offer that we lack?
   Factorization, and instead of just basic
   modes for a programming language P, tons of
   features and helpers for that particular
   language, is what I've heard so far.
   That doesn't sound so impressive - but it
   might just be, or there's more.

Now two other questions:

1) Are we, or are we not counting Emacs-w3m,
   Gnus, ERC, the shell, [M]ELPA, the
   man pages, the file system (Dired), and
   everything else I've mentioned many times by
   now?

   Or do the other editors provide that as well
   - in different forms, of course?

   They don't, right? So we are actually not
   counting huge parts of Emacs, when we
   compare Emacs to other editors? Parts that
   are actually really beneficial when
   writing programs?

2) Do the other editors support tons of
   languages, like Emacs does, and not just the
   Emacs favorites like Lisp but Cobol, Pascal,
   ML, seekwell, LaTeX, zsh, and so on? As well
   as all the configuration modes?

   Or are they just better, perhaps much
   better, at one or two or three languages,
   e.g. C++ or C#/VB(A)/MS SQL Server?

> Maybe, just maybe, having "kill & yank"
> instead "copy & paste" is not the cause of
> Emacs' lack of appeal to the new generations.

Of course it isn't.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573