Re: Google Gmail mailing list bounces

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:56:11 -0700

Nate Bass wrote:
> I compared my Gmail to the archives and I found that I wasn't
> receiving mail from one particular address moasenwood@zoho.eu and I
> think this caused me to bounce off the help-gnu-emacs mailing list.

That is quite interesting.  Mail from most members came through okay.
But mail from moasenwood@zoho.eu was frequently rejected by Gmail.  I
don't see anything unusual about that zoho.eu (no DKIM for example)
that would cause any difficulty.

> This issue raises two questions.
> 1) Why was I not receiving message from that address. Any thoughts
> Emanuel? I did receive your original post "Gmane up again" and some
> but not all of the following replies, if that helps.
> 2) Should the automatic bounce processing system be changed? I think
> my experience confirms that help-gnu-emacs has a bounce score
> threshold of 5.

Mailman has been a difficult program to improve.  The upstream has
forked Mailman 2 into a rewrite that is quite different Mailman 3.  No
one that I know has been running Mailman 3 yet.  So there is no
experience with it.  However being a complete rewrite from the ground
up I am confident predicting that it will have undesired behavior just
like Mailman 2 and what that will be can't be predicted until it is in
production service.  We will find out at that time.  Therefore Mailman
2 isn't getting design changes anymore.  Plus the instance on
lists.gnu.org only gets updates "infrequently".  That's probably the
best way to describe it.  It really depends upon who is employed as
the admins at the time and that changes from year to year.

Bob