RE: Detecting a running process in Elisp

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Detecting a running process in Elisp
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:17:55 -0700 (PDT)

> > Without knowing anything about processes in Elisp, I tried
> > using apropos "processes" (apropos "process" had too many hits).
> >
> > That led me to `list-processes', which led me to `list-processes--
> > refresh'.  That led me to `process-list', which I imagine you can
> > use to get what you want.
>
> These are for processes that Emacs launched.  Other processes running
> on the system will not show.
>
> > HTH.  Remember: `apropos' and its friends are your friends.
>
> Right, because list-system-processes is also there.

Good correction - `list-system-processes', not `list-processes' or
`process-list'.

[Too bad, BTW, that the doc string of `list-processes' says
"Display a list of all processes" - N.B. "ALL", not all processes
that Emacs has launched.

It mentions exclusion of certain processes, depending on argument
QUERY-ONLY and whether exited or signaled, but it does not go beyond
that to characterize which other processes might be excluded.]