Re: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practic

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Dialog from emacsclientw.exe must be dismissed (was RE: Best practices for launching Emacs on Windows 7/8)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:50:01 +0200

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:

> Consider that the non-windows version (emacsclient) does just this.
> It will issue the error message to the console and, since it's
> non-interactive, it will proceed to launch the alternate editor (if
> any).

User expectatives for a console program and a GUI one are quite different.

> Sure, and I claim that this does still not change the uselessness of
> waiting for the user to click OK before launching the alternate
> editor.  Let's say you're correct that somehow the server was
> deactivated, and all you need to do is reactivate it.  Nothing you do
> of emacsclientw.

No, it's the fact that you click on the dialog, which means that you
saw the message. If it does not appear, or times out, perhaps you'll
miss it. Waiting for the user to acknowledge that s/he read a warning
is hardly something exclusive to emacsclientw.exe.

> I certainly understand that my perspective is based on the fact that I
> use alternate editor, but I didn't invent the concept; I'm just trying
> to use it.

I tend to think that the alternate editor is an error, but that's just me.

Anyway, if you feel that the behavior is wrong, use M-x
report-emacs-bug and file a bug report / enhancement request. Perhaps
someone who shares your view will be prompted to act on it.

Thanks,

   Juanma