Re: mail files Incomingxxx

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: mail files Incomingxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:37:23 +0100

Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

Hi Alan,

> I am a very happy user of emacs (v23) and gnus (5.13).
> I just notice a bunch of file in my main mail directory
> named   Incomingxxxxx for various xxxxx.
>
> I believe these are mails that arrived that for some reason didn't get
> put into my mail folders.

No, these are only backup files, which are enabled in non-released Gnus
versions to be sure that no mail can be lost during mail splitting.  Do
you use the released Emacs 23.1?  Maybe it was forgotten to disable
those backups, but on the other hand, why not donate some megabytes for
extra safety?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Source Customization") ]
| `mail-source-delete-incoming'
|      If non-`nil', delete incoming files after handling them.  If `t',
|      delete the files immediately, if `nil', never delete any files.
|      If a positive number, delete files older than number of days (the
|      deletion will only happen when receiving new mail).  You may also
|      set `mail-source-delete-incoming' to `nil' and call
|      `mail-source-delete-old-incoming' from a hook or interactively.
|      `mail-source-delete-incoming' defaults to `10' in alpha Gnusae and
|      `2' in released Gnusae.  *Note Gnus Development::.
`----

Ah, I was wrong.  Even released Gnusae keep some Incoming files
nowadays. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo