Re: eval trouble

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: eval trouble
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:47:28 +0200

Lennart Borgman (gmail) writes:
> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> >> It works if I replace make-symbol with intern. But why does eval care
> >> about that?
> >
> > eval doesn't care, but how would you be able to refer again to the
> > defined thing if you don't have its name in some dictionary?
>

> Thanks. I see. I thought eval interned the symbol, or perhaps rather
> created an interned symbol. In this case it does not do that.
>
> Or am I still misunderstanding something.

Only intern interns symbols.  intern is called automatically only by
the lisp reader.  It's when a s-expression is read that symbols it
contains are interned.  When you call eval, it's already done.

CAUTION: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of
85 million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.