Re: eval trouble

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: eval trouble
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:43:51 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>> Here is the code that does NOT work:
>>
>> (defun mumamo-define-no-mode (mode-sym)
>>   (let ((mumamo-repl4 (make-symbol (format "mumamo-repl4-%s" mode-sym)))
>
> It works if I replace make-symbol with intern. But why does eval care
> about that?

eval doesn't care, but how would you be able to refer again to the
defined thing if you don't have its name in some dictionary?

It's like putting your suitcase to the baggage checkroom, and losing
the key right away.  As soon as the checkroom realises there's no more
any key to unlock your suitcase, it'll recover the space and throw it
to the garbage.

THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
explosion will result.