[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Diff on Emacs
Re: Diff on Emacs
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:50:03 +0000
tin/1.4.5-20010409 ("One More Nightmare") (UNIX) (Linux/2.0.35 (i686))
Jasen <address@hidden> wrote on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:30:59 -0800:
> Jesper Harder wrote:
>> Jasen <address@hidden> writes:
>>>>How do I enable diff on Emacs? Doesn't diff a standard built-in
>>>>function in Emacs? Wheh I try to diff two buffers, i got "no such
>>>>file or directory" error that doesn't sound right, what did I miss
>>>Sorry, forgot to tell you that I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Windows XP.
>> Ah, then you need to install the 'diff' program from somewhere. One
>> possibility is to get it from the Cygwin tools.
> There are many diff*.el and ediff*.el files in ../lisp/ directory so
> isn't diff a standard built-in function for emacs?
Let me clarify Jesper's post:
All these elisp files eventually call a separate executable program
"diff.exe". There is no such program included in Microsoft operating
systems (guess why we all prefer GNU/linux? :-), and that is what your
error message ("no such file...") is about.
So you're going to have to install diff.exe yourself. A good place to
download it from would be <http://www.cygwin.org/> (If I remember the
URL correctly - if not, do a Web search for "cygwin").
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: address@hidden; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
(like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").
- Diff on Emacs, Jasen, 2003/11/11
- Re: Diff on Emacs, Jasen, 2003/11/11
- Re: Diff on Emacs, Jesper Harder, 2003/11/11
- Re: Diff on Emacs,
Alan Mackenzie <=
- Re: Diff on Emacs, LEE Sau Dan, 2003/11/13
- Re: Diff on Emacs, Juri Linkov, 2003/11/14
- Re: Diff on Emacs, LEE Sau Dan, 2003/11/17
- Re: Diff on Emacs, Juri Linkov, 2003/11/18
- Re: Diff on Emacs, Kevin Rodgers, 2003/11/18
- Re: Diff on Emacs, kgold, 2003/11/11
- Re: Diff on Emacs, Jasen, 2003/11/12