Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:43:35 +0000

kgold <kgold@watson.ibm.com> wrote on 10 Nov 2003 21:17:28 GMT:
>> > Never byte-compile your .emacs file by hand again!

>> Better yet:

>>     Never byte-compile your .emacs file

>> This way, you save disk space, time, and energy when things don't work
>> as expected.
>> Have you ever measured a speed difference between starting Emacs with
>> .emacs.el and with .emacs.elc ?  I strongly doubt it (unless you write
>> a lot of real elisp code in your .emacs which is a bad idea in the
>> first place).

> Even better yet, use gnuserv.  Who cares how long it takes to start
> when you do it twice a year.

<flamebait>

Some of us actually have to pay for our electricity.  Some of us care
that leaving a computer running continuously spews carbon dioxide into
the atmosphere (fuelling global warming) and creates radioactive waste.
We switch our computers off when not in use.  I often boot my computer
several times a day.

But I don't like leaving Emacs running, even when my PC is on.  You see,
jit-lock runs continuously in the background, consuming vast amounts of
CPU usage, thus contributing even more to global warming, et al.

<\flamebait>

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter