help-gawk

Re: regex for roman numerals

From: Wolfgang Laun
Subject: Re: regex for roman numerals
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 09:54:32 +0100

Just for a puzzle: I claim that the requirement to determine whether a
string contains exactly one roman numeral (according to the rules for
ancient numerals or for medieval rules - take your pick) cannot be met in
awk with one single regular expression and no additional code.
But it can be done in some other regex implementations, e.g. Perl, Java,
Python.

Cheers
-W

--